Thursday, December 06, 2012

Smilin' and dialin'...

So while I was chatting my day away on the phone, extolling the virtues of the product I rep, I was also using my downtime to look at the house I want to buy for Camp Shoehead 2.0, and doing some more research into the environs of Ranger TX, my (fingers crossed) soon-to-be new hometown.  I looked at pictures of the oil boom, and scoped out the surrounding towns and highways. I really want this to happen, so I'll be praying a lot. (And saving money, too! Every ramen noodle I eat from now on is going toward the Camp Shoehead 2.0 cause!)
We also decorated our pod. There are five of us phone agents working on the campaign, and all of the campaigns in our company are in a competition for the best decorations. I wish I could take a picture, but since I work at a call center, we can't have out phones on the production floor. But our pod kicks ass, and I think we're gonna win!
Calling different companies on the phone all day gets somewhat repetitive. I can't tell you how many companies ask you to "Please pay attention, because our options have changed..." Really?  There must've been some kind of revolution in phone directory menus I never heard about. My options never changed. I feel ripped off.  Or how about this classic gem—"Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and you'll be answered by the next available attendant..."  Fun stuff!  I also wonder why people (especially receptionists) feel they can be rude to you, just because you're making a sales call. I mean, I'm not calling families in the middle of dinner to push a satellite TV service.  I'm calling businesses during regular business hours.  Don't they too, have goods and services to market?  If you're not interested, fine. I make over 100 calls a day. I will move on. But what did your rudeness just accomplish? It's crazy.
Anyway, so the new purpose for this whole thing is to get Camp Shoehead 2.0 off the grlound. That will be my writing sanctuary and my workout camp. And my dogs have a nice fenced-in yard to run around in! It's a dream...

No comments: