Thursday, September 13, 2012

Am I just gettin' old?

I've been on a real nostalgia kick lately.  Posting things from my 1970's Upstate New York youth, and a few things from my early 1980's Richmond VA high school era. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe I'm trying to escape back into a simpler era. Maybe I feel I need to document it somehow. Whatever the reason, I spend a lot of time revisiting the iconography of my youth. Pop-culture ruled, and the music was... alive.  I think there's definitely something lacking in today's music; heart, soul, authenticity... I can't put my finger on it. At the same time, I think there's something missing in society now, as well. Certain technological advances have improved our communication, and social media has brought me back in touch with many old friends, but again--I can't put my finger on it--something leaves a void. Though cell phones, internet, and other gizmos are supposed to make life easier, life in fact seems more complex now. The times of my youth seemed to have a simplicity to them. I guess I'll keep posting the images and icons of my youth, while I ponder this. Could it be as simple as I'm growing old?


No comments: