Monday, April 12, 2010

A mini-tribute to Jim Croce

Yesterday, as I was resting at Camp Shoehead (with electricity), my oldies station happened to play "Operator (That's Not the way it Feels)" by Jim Croce. I was actually moved by the song, and I reflected upon what an amazing piece of musical work it is. Not only does it have a catchy melody, but the songwriting is brilliant! Mr. Croce conveys love, pain, and betrayal--giving us a complete story all in a man's attempt to get directory assistance. His thanking of the operator, and offering her to "keep the dime" demonstrates a pure and giving heart. Simply a beautiful, near-perfect example of good songwriting, story telling, and musicianship in under 3 minutes.
Like major events marking people's lives, I happened to remember where I was when I heard the radio report of his death. I was driving with my family late at to a Revolutionary War re-enactment (being the Bicentennial era, and all!). It was late friday night, September 20 1973, and we were in our family's Griswold-style station wagon drving through Pennsylvania to get to the gig, possible Valley Forge, or the Daniel Boone homestead. Further radio reports speculated that Jim Croce's pilot might've had a heart attack, but the small plane took off and failed to clear a tree at the end of the runway. All aboard were killed, Croce and his long-time guitar accompanyist, Maury Meuhleisen, as well as several others.
Jim Croce's death ended a short, but brilliant career. Who knows where his career might've taken him, but his short time as a recording artist gave us some of the most beautiful and poetic music ever.

No comments: